Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Oscars [like mimosas] take me to my happy place

I love the Oscars.
LOVE.
I used to fantasize about winning one. Maybe sometimes I still do. It would have to be for producing [Best Picture] though because as I've complained about over and over again on here, I am sans creativity.

The nominations came out this morning, and I must say that overall I am pleased. I'm especially pleased because the Best Picture nominees are actually movies that people went out and saw! [for the most part] The past few years there have been films in the running that I had either never heard of, or knew for a fact that their box office numbers were less than stellar. A lot of this can be credited to the public just not being into art house films or appreciating fine work, but I feel the Oscars should represent the balance between superb film making and popularity.

So the nominees are...
1. The Kings Speech- haven't seen it, but I hear great things about it. This focuses on history AND royals, so I really should get on it. Plus, Colin Firth is pretty much spectacular in anything he does.
2. True Grit- fantastic. I am NOT a fan of Westerns, but this one was in a league of its own. The Cohen brothers are so very talented, and they did not disappoint me. I'm also excited that Hailee Steinfeld is nominated for best supporting actress. She's only 14, but that kid is going places.
3. Inception- since it was robbed at the Globes, I'm glad it has earned its rightful spot as a Oscar nominee. This film was so cerebral, and I left confused as hell as to what I had just seen. Christopher Nolan is a genius, Leo is a genius, and it is a shame that neither of theme were nominated. I'm going to have to start a "Give Leo an Oscar" campaign soon.
4. The Social Network- thanks to Aaron Sorkin, this was a great movie. The man writes an impeccable script. I was suspicious when I heard they were making a Facebook movie, but I will give this one a "like." [get it?? A little Facebook humor for you]
5. The Fighter- haven't seen this one either, but plan to in the near future. The cast is excellent, so I have high hopes.
6. Black Swan- I don't have enough words to describe how much I loved this movie. It was dark, twisted, and shocking, and I enjoyed every second of it. Natalie Portman, you are a fantastical human being, and if you don't win an Oscar for this I might start a riot.
7. The Kids Are All Right-broke my heart. The acting was superb and the script gut-wrenching. While it certainly has its comedic moments, there is so much more to it. Annette Benning and Julianne Moore played their roles to perfection. If Natalie Portman wasn't nominated as well, I'd want the Oscar to go to Annette [but she has enough!].
8. 127 Hours- also haven't seen. But I love James Franco and how dedicated he is to his craft. I hear the arm scene is quite uncomfortable, but I am very much looking forward to seeing this.
9. Toy Story 3- I meannnn....really? I guess this satisfies "popularity" criteria that I mentioned, but I just have a problem with animated films in this category. They have their own category, and I do think this should win in that area.
10. Winter's Bone- I have honestly never heard of this movie. Have you? If so, please enlighten me because I have no idea what the hell it's about and am too lazy to google it.

Can't wait to see what happens in February. My guess is The Kings Speech or The Social Network, but I'd love to see Inception or Black Swan win. 

5 comments:

Caroline at Her Own Eden said...

I feel bad that Inception was so snubbed (as far as actors/directors go) because I feel like it was such a great movie! I also feel like Mila Kunis should have been nominated for Black Swan... not that she would have won but whatevs. I'd love to see the King's Speech win, but we'll see! I love the Social Network but I'm kind of annoyed how much press it is getting over other films... I mean I don't see it as the best film of the year or anything like that.

Mama said...

1. The King's Speech is absolutely
fabulous. Go see it now.
2. I finally saw Social Network last weekend. Am I the only one who was totally bored in the middle? Honestly, I wasn't impressed.
3. Inception is truly amazing and definitely deserves to be in this list.
4. I completely agree about Black Swan. Amazingly creepy and I loved every second.
5. I should probably stop writing my own post in your comments now...

Katie in Colors said...

dude...i so dreamed of winning an oscar too! why am i not surprised we both did? it's that shared brain i tell you.

sadly, i've only seen ONE of the nominees for best picture.

it's a travesty.

JennAventures said...

Oh, King's Speech was sooo interesting/good. I think you'll like it. I have a not so secret crush on Colin Firth and his acting in it made me forget his crush worthy performances as various Mr Darcy's-he's that good.

Yay Oscar season!

Jenni Austria Germany said...

Winter's Bone is so good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...