Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The one time a year when I try to stop eating cookies and cakes and chocolate and everything else I love



I am not good at Lent. Never have been. Probably because Lent is most often associated with giving up some sort of food, and we all know how I feel about food. It's not something I enjoy sacrificing.

In years past I have attempted to give up more "substantial" things, such as a behavior or bad habbit. Not being critical lasted for a while, but inevitably flopped when I couldn't keep the thoughts out of my head about how horrendously some people dress.

One of my successes was the year I gave up the word "whore." This is a random word, I know. But at that point in my life, there was a particular person who I was regularly targetting that word at. There was a break up involved in all of this, of course. So we can blame that guy for my overzealous use of the word [he was super Catholic and I took Lent pretty seriously the two years I was with him...which I find ironic in all of this]. Anyway, I gave it up for Lent and substituted the word "blank" for it instead. On a daily basis I'd run to Caroline's room and start yelling about the "blanky blank blank" and how "blanky" she was. We had a good time with it, and it was one of my few Lenten successes.

Last year I gave up nothing because I knew I was bound to fail. Pretty terrible way to look at it, huh?

I'm not the go-to-church-every-Sunday type, but I do appreciate Lent and what it symoblizes. So this year I'll give it another shot. I can't promise that I'll be 100% successful, but it's the thought that counts, right?

For 40 days I will attempt the following. Emphasis on attempt:
1. Eat dessert only once a week.
2. Go out to eat only once a week [if at all].
3. Drink only once a week [if at all].
4. No chocolate [this is the one that will most likely bomb because if I'm already cutting down to dessert once a week, I can't do without chocolate too!].

We'll see how this goes.


9 comments:

Courtney said...

You can do it!!!

Caroline at Her Own Eden said...

I feel as though you need to save all of your "once a week" times on days you see me causeeeeee let's just be honest... all I do is eat out, drink, and eat desserts.

Mama said...

I have faith in you sister!

Diana Smith said...

That is awesome you gave up the word whore!! haha

JennAventures said...

Oh, I love the idea of giving up a word. I am giving up the F Bomb based on this. As well as actually trying to go to church on Sunday during lent. We'll see how it goes.

Meredith! said...

kudos for you! idk if i could do any of your goals! haha good luck!!

min said...

Good luck! I can hardly imagine my life without chocolates. Haha! :)

Sara Louise said...

Good luck! But maybe it will be easier since you put it all out here for us to see. Sending you good positive, 'put down the chocolate' vibes :-)

Jenni Austria Germany said...

as sweets comprise 90% of my diet, i would be horrible at this.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...